How Does Gen Z Read?


Generation Z (Gen Z) is the next wave of young people that will influence the world. This generation has never known a time without the world wide web. As digital natives, members of Gen Z accomplish technological feats without much difficulty. The use of technology has allowed this generation to build skills that were unimaginable in previous decades. While technology and the internet have undoubtedly changed our world for the better, how have these inventions changed the reading habits of Gen Z?

An article from Pacific Standard asserts that members of Gen Z are unable to read texts that previous generations would consider simple. “The reality is that our young people are changing in ways that are as imperceptible to them as to most adults” says Maryanne Wolf, author of Tales of Literacy for the 21st Century.

Is it true that Gen Z is unable to focus long enough to read classical texts? More importantly, are they unwilling to read? I wanted to see for myself by talking to two members of Gen Z I know well, my siblings Ethan and Megan. My sister Megan is an older member of Gen Z at the age of 18. Ethan is a sophomore in high school and is 15. The following Q&A is my attempt to understand more about the reading habits of Generation Z.

How often do you read? This could be articles, short stories, graphic novels, audiobooks, etc.

Megan: I read posts on Facebook and such. Not often, I guess. I only read when I have to. Whenever I click on an article and it’s too long…I don’t like that.

Ethan: I guess like once a day.


What do you like to read?


M: I’m into murder mysteries and history.

E: History kind of stuff. I like reading about the World Wars.


What type of reading do you do for school? How do you feel about required reading?


M: I read a couple stories and my textbook. I don't like being forced to read.

E: Mostly books but a few articles. I definitely don’t like it.


What is your favorite method of reading?


M: I work better if I see and hear things. I follow along and listen to an audiobook.

E: I like physical books. 

Do your friends read? What kind of stuff?


M: My friend reads a lot. She reads all the time. She doesn’t really have a favorite type of book.

E: No


What’s Better, the book or the movie?


M: Movie, because I like seeing the things. Most of the time I don’t even know there is a book.

E: Movie, because I can watch it. 


What is your favorite book?


M: I do like The Divine Comedy by Dante. I only read when I have to, but the Divine comedy is great. Beowulf is cool too.

E: The Diary of Anne Frank. It’s one of the only books I could read from start to finish.


Through conversations with my siblings I learned a lot about how reading is viewed by current teenagers. It seems that if given the choice, my brother and sister would choose challenging texts for themselves. However, the constant push to read from others seems to be an unsuccessful way to empower them to spend time reading. How can reading be introduced to Gen Z in a way that gets teens excited? I definitely don't know the answer, but in order to help a generation grow through reading we have to get more creative.

Comments

Popular Posts